[Lustre-discuss] lustre in mainline kernel

Christopher J. Morrone morrone2 at llnl.gov
Thu Jul 18 10:53:26 PDT 2013

Only the _client_ portion of lustre was added to the kernel tree, and
currently it is just in "staging".  We have been able to build the
lustre client without patches to the kernel for quite some time now,
independent of the work to get the client into the upstream kernel.

On the server side, the the new ZFS OSD backend in Lustre 2.4 also does
not require patching the kernel.  So that means if you choose to use the
ZFS backend, you don't need to patch your kernel at all!

The only thing that requires kernel patches right now is servers using
ldiskfs.  Even that is relatively close to going patchless, but when
that will finally happen is still a bit up in the air.

Chris