[Lustre-discuss] how the lustre distribute data among disks within one OST

Jaln valiantljk at gmail.com
Thu Jun 13 14:38:30 PDT 2013

if I have 6 stripes, 2 OST, using round-robin striping,
stripe 0,2,4 will be on OST0,
stripe 1,3,5 will be on OST1,
Do you guys have any idea about what will be the difference of accessing
stripe 0,4 vs stripe 0,2?
stripe 0, 2 seems to be closer than 0,4, or the lustre will do
some intelligent work?

Jaln

On Thu, Jun 13, 2013 at 10:22 AM, Christopher J. Morrone
<morrone2 at llnl.gov>wrote:

> On 06/13/2013 05:19 AM, E.S. Rosenberg wrote:
> > On Thu, Jun 13, 2013 at 3:09 AM, Christopher J. Morrone
> > <morrone2 at llnl.gov> wrote:
> >> Lustre does not  manage the individual disks.  I sits on top of a
> >> filesystem, either ldiskfs(basically ext4) or zfs (as of Lustre 2.4).
> > Is ZFS the recommended fs, or just an option?
> > Doesn't ZFS suffer major performance drawbacks on linux due to it
> > living in userspace?
> > Thanks,
> > Eli
>
> LLNL (Brian Behlendorf) ported ZFS natively to Linux.  We are not using
> the FUSE (userspace) version.  You can find it at:
>
>    http://zfsonlinux.org
>
> ZFS is one of the two backend filesystem options for Lustre, as of
> Lustre 2.4.  2.4 is the first Lustre release that fully supports using
> ZFS.  Here at LLNL we are using it on our newest, and largest at 55PB,
> filesystem.
>
> Chris

Genius only means hard-working all one's life