[Lustre-discuss] explanation about inodes in MDT/OST

Dilger, Andreas andreas.dilger at intel.com
Wed Jun 19 08:33:14 PDT 2013

On 2013-06-19, at 8:52, "Lee, Brett" <brett.lee at intel.com<mailto:brett.lee at intel.com>> wrote:
We probably should clarify the context of inodes:

1) Each OST has "inodes" – these inodes refer to objects on that OST that contain block data for a Lustre file.

I prefer to call these as OST objects, to keep them distinct from the MDT inodes.

2) Each (as of 2.4) MDT has "inodes" – these inodes contain metadata for a single Lustre file.

When adding an OST you gain the inodes on that OST for objects (block data) on that OST, but the total amount of Lustre files (MDT inodes) hasn't changed.

Right, though Mr. Rosenberg is correct that since the MDT uses an ext4-based backing storage it is possible to use offline resize2fs to increase the size of the MDT afterward, if it is using LVM or some other form of storage that can be resized.  Online resizing is blocked behind LU-137 being finished.

Note that resize2fs is not something that we test on any regular basis, because most of our customers have large fixed-size devices for the MDT (over-provisioning on spindles). If someone needs to do this, is encourage them to make a "dd" copy of the MDT to a new device first (could just be a USB SATA disk) and test out the resize2fs first, and verify with e2fsck before and after that the filesystem is still valid.

I'll see whether i can get resize2fs testing added into our normal test suite.

Cheers, Andreas