[Lustre-discuss] Removing OSTs permanently

Chan Ching Yu, Patrick cychan at clustertech.com
Fri Jun 28 16:50:19 PDT 2013

Hi,

I would like to remove a OST permanently.
I¡¯ve followed Lustre manual to migrate the data files and deactivate the devices.
But how to remove OST permanently so that the clients and servers no longer see the osc device.

These are my steps to remove a OST:
1) lctl ¨Cdevice 20 deactivate
2) lfs find --obd tempfs-OST000a /lustre/ | lfs_migrate -y
3) lctl conf_param tempfs-OST000a.osc.active=0

But on MGS, the osc still exists

mgs> lctl dl
IN osc tempfs-OST000a-osc-MDT0000 tempfs-MDT0000-mdtlov_UUID 5

To make the osc on servers and clients disappeared permanently,
do I need to umount the MGS, MDT, or just reboot all the machines?

Thanks in advance.

Patrick