[Lustre-discuss] lustre startup sequence Re: OSTs not activating following MGS/MDS move

Patrick Shopbell pls at astro.caltech.edu
Thu Mar 7 13:26:59 PST 2013

Hi all -
As the original poster of this thread, I should probably just
weigh in that it is indeed possible that something was out of
order when I brought up our setup with the new MGS+MDS. I
*thought* I did it right, since I was following the
instructions in section 14.5 of the manual (Changing a Server
NID), and that section does indeed advise the proper initial
order:

MGS, MDS, OST, Clients

But maybe I got a client or something in there too early. I
also had some issues with the NIDs of the OSTs pointing to
an old ethernet interface first, so maybe that confused
things.

The solution was perfect, though. Thanks to Colin and this list.
--
Patrick

On 3/7/13 8:53 AM, Colin Faber wrote:
> I should make this clear,
>
> This is only critical for initial start up. Successive startups don't
> matter so much as services have already been registered.
>
> -cf
>
> On 03/07/2013 09:52 AM, DEGREMONT Aurelien wrote:
>> Hello
>>
>> AFAIK there is 2 orders:
>>   - If you are started your filesystem for the first time (or using
>> --writeconf), order is :
>> MGS, MDS, OST, Clients
>>   - On normal start
>> MGS, OST, MDS, Clients
>>
>> There is a patch on some recent Lustre release to be able to use the
>> first order any time but I would advise to use the second one anyway
>> as it avoids starting MDS first, lacking connection to OST, and then
>> reconnecting to them when they are really started.
>>

>> Aurélien
>>

>> Le 07/03/2013 17:48, Colin Faber a écrit :
>>> Hi Yes,
>>>
>>> Thanks for finding this Alex. The manual should be updated with the
>>> correct order.
>>>
>>> -cf

| Patrick Shopbell               Department of Astronomy             |
| pls at astro.caltech.edu          Mail Code 249-17                    |
| (626) 395-4097                 California Institute of Technology  |
| (626) 568-9352  (FAX)          Pasadena, CA  91125                 |
| WWW: http://www.astro.caltech.edu/~pls/                            |