[Lustre-discuss] Understanding lustre setup ..

Colin Faber colin_faber at xyratex.com
Mon Mar 11 11:53:49 PDT 2013

Hi,

In general the clients are isolated nodes which only act as single
client nodes accessing the greater file system (MGS, MDS, and OSS (OSTS))

You can run a client mount on any of these nodes however it's not
recommended as it can lead to deadlock and memory contention problems.

Ideally your hadoop data source from lustre would be a lustre client.
This can consist of a network boot machine which then mounts Lustre FS
via it's interconnect.

So think of it like this:

(LUSTRE: [MGS <-> MDS] <-> [OSS { OST OST OST }]) <-> Client A (mount
/mnt/lustre)

Then Client A acts as data store exporting /mnt/lustre to your hadoop
cluster.

I hope this makes sense =)

-cf