[Lustre-discuss] ldiskfs for MDT and zfs for OSTs?

Scott Nolin scott.nolin at ssec.wisc.edu
Mon Oct 7 11:39:38 PDT 2013

>> Ned
>
> Here is the exact command used to create a raidz2 pool with 8+2 drives,
> followed by the error messages:
>
> mkfs.lustre --fsname=cajalfs --reformat --ost --backfstype=zfs --index=0
> --mgsnode=10.10.101.171 at o2ib lustre-ost0/ost0 raidz2 /dev/sda /dev/sdc
> /dev/sde /dev/sdg /dev/sdi /dev/sdk /dev/sdm /dev/sdo /dev/sdq /dev/sds
>
> mkfs.lustre FATAL: Invalid filesystem name /dev/sds
>
> mkfs.lustre FATAL: unable to prepare backend (22)
> mkfs.lustre: exiting with 22 (Invalid argument)
>
> dmesg shows
> ZFS: Loaded module v0.6.2-1, ZFS pool version 5000, ZFS filesystem version 5
>
> Any suggestions on creating the pool separately?

Just make sure you can see /dev/sds in your system - if not, that's your
problem.

I would also suggest consider building this without using these top
level dev names. It is very easy for these to change accidentally. If
you're just testing it's fine, but over time it will be a problem.

See
http://zfsonlinux.org/faq.html#WhatDevNamesShouldIUseWhenCreatingMyPool

I like the vdev_id.conf with meaningful (to our sysadmins) aliases to
device 'by-path'.

Scott