[Lustre-discuss] Ldiskfs formatting

Lambert, Cedric cedric.lambert at hp.com
Mon Oct 14 11:31:19 PDT 2013

OK, this mounting options does perfectly the trick for my performance tests. Thanks for your help.
However, I do not understand why I fall into this problem, and maybe some of you could help me :
I think there is something I did not understand in the mkfs options since my MDT behaves perfectly and its formatting takes a long time.
It is not the case for my OSTs.
Here are the mkfs_cmd used for my Lustre targets :
Mkfs_cmd for my MDT : mke2fs -j -b 4096 -L scratch:MDT0000  -J size=400 -I 512 -i 2048 -q -O dirdata,uninit_bg,^extents,dir_nlink,quota,huge_file,flex_bg -E lazy_journal_init -F /dev/sdb2 97177856
Mkfs_cmd for my OSTs : mke2fs -j -b 4096 -L scratch:OST0000  -J size=400 -I 256 -i 524288 -q -O extents,uninit_bg,dir_nlink,quota,huge_file,flex_bg -G 256 -E stride=64,lazy_itable_init=0,lazy_journal_init=0,resize=4290772992 -F /dev/sdc 2441822902

When I format my OSTs with lazy_itable_init=0,lazy_journal_init=0 , it takes approximatively 12 seconds for the formatting. Without these options it is instantaneous. Thus, there is a difference in the behavior of the command, but 12 seconds is not a lot for formatting 10 TB !

Do you have any idea what's wrong in my OST formatting ?
Thank you
Cédric