[Lustre-discuss] Proper shutdown sans clients

Dilger, Andreas andreas.dilger at intel.com
Tue Oct 22 15:37:10 PDT 2013

There is no particular danger to the filesystem if clients fail to unmount. Clients have no direct ability to modify filesystem metadata, so they should never be able to corrupt the filesystem.  This is no different than if clients crash or if the network fails, or whatever else bad happens to large computers on a regular basis.

If the MDT(s) are unmounted first then the OSTs it at least avoids one smal bit of recovery. If you know that the clients will not be coming back (e.g. power outage and servers are running on UPS) then "umount -f" of the servers will evict all of the clients immediately and it will avoid recovery when they are remounted.  The same can be achieved at mount time with "-o abort_recov".

If you are doing some minor administration on the server, normal "umount" is enough, and allows the clients to recover and possibly complete their IO after the servers have restarted.

For major releases (e.g. 1.8 to 2.x) the clients need to unmount cleanly or will be automatically be evicted after the upgrade.

Cheers, Andreas