[Lustre-discuss] Which NID to use?

White, Cliff cliff.white at intel.com
Fri Feb 28 13:20:58 PST 2014

On 2/28/14, 1:17 AM, "Chan Ching Yu Patrick" <cychan at clustertech.com>
wrote:

>Hi Mohr,
>
>The reason why I made this setup is I'm not sure how Lustre selects the
>interface in mult-rail environment.
>
>Especially when all node have Infiniband and Ethernet, how can I ensure
>Infiniband is used between client and OSS?

The LNET Œnetworks¹ option is used to specify by interface. For example,
where your Infiniband interface is Œib0¹ you would
add this to your modprobe.conf  or equivalent:
‹‹‹‹‹‹‹
options lnet networks="o2ib0(ib0)²
‹‹‹‹‹‹

That will define IB (the interface denoted by ib0 to be specific).  Client
mounts using @o2ib0 NIDS will only use IB,regardless of other interfaces
present.
See the Lustre manual for details on the LNET Œnetworks¹ option.

In your case, I would suspect that the two TCP/IP interfaces are
equivalent in TCP/IP routing terms, perhaps on the same segment.
When that happens TCP/IP routing is taking over. Basically, you can
control which interface you send from, but if the receiver sees two equal
TCP/IP paths back, you can¹t control which path it chooses to take. Has
nothing to do with LNET or Lustre.

In the case where the network hardware is dissimilar, you don¹t have this
problem. Connections starting on IB stay on IB.
If you only have one IB network, using the IB NID will ensure all clients
use only IB.

cliffw