[Lustre-discuss] Lustre ZFS Snapshot

Indivar Nair indivar.nair at techterra.in
Tue Jul 1 11:32:17 PDT 2014

Thanks Andreas.
I have a couple of queries on your suggestion.
Please find them inline *(blue color)* in the mail below.

Regards,

Indivar Nair

On Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 2:12 PM, Dilger, Andreas <andreas.dilger at intel.com>
wrote:

> On 2014/06/29, 1:24 PM, "Indivar Nair" <indivar.nair at techterra.in<mailto:
> indivar.nair at techterra.in>> wrote:
> Referring to https://jira.hpdd.intel.com/browse/LUDOC-161
>
> The idea is to be able to backup and restore individual files /
> directories to another non-Lustre storage OR tape drive...
>
> Well, the idea of LUDOC-161 is not to backup and restore individual files,
> but backup and restore of the whole MDT or OST.
>
> So, can one mount the MDT and OST snapshots to form a parallel Lustre
> Volume (on the same cluster) and take a point-in-time backup / rsync of the
> complete Lustre filesystem?
>
> In theory yes, but this isn't yet supported.  The problem is that the
> Lustre filesystem name is the same between the snapshots, so the snapshot
> filesystem cannot be mounted on the same clients as the original filesystem.
>
> The device-level backup/zfs send/recv, especially of the MDT, is mostly
> intended for disaster recovery, though with ZFS it may also be practical to
> use it in the manner you are proposing.
>
> If not, can one mount a copy of MDT and OST snapshots on another Lustre
> cluster to recreate the complete Lustre Volume?
>
> It would be OK to mount it on separate clients.

The hostname and IP of the MGS, MDS and OSS nodes on the other cluster
would be different. Would this be ok?

Also, On the backup cluster, can I have multiple OSTs (dataset) in a single
zpool?
For example, I may have 4 zpools with 1 OST (dataset) each on the
production cluster, but on the backup cluster I may have 1 zpool with 4
OSTs (dataset). This will allow me to have a backup cluster using lesser
number of cheaper 4TB SATA disks instead of the 1TB SAS disks on the
production cluster.