[Lustre-discuss] Backing up Lustre Journal

Alastair Ferguson aferguson at cmcrc.com
Thu Jun 19 17:55:21 PDT 2014

OK, so I have a RAID1 array used as Journal disk for two 14TB OSTs. this has 2 x 2GB partitions on 2 x 2TB physical disks.

[root at silicon ~]# fdisk -l /dev/sdav

Disk /dev/sdav: 2000.3 GB, 2000398934016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 243201 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

/dev/sdav1               1          56      449788+  fd  Linux raid autodetect
/dev/sdav2              57         112      449820   fd  Linux raid autodetect

One of the RAID1 disks is about to fail and before I replace it I would like to back up the journals so I can recover.

There doesn’t seem to be any information on how to do this.

Can I mount -t ldiskfs and then rsync the information somewhere just in case the RAID1 replacement doesn’t work?

What is the procedure for this?

Let me know.

Thanks!

Alastair Ferguson
IT Manager
Capital Markets CRC Limited (CMCRC)
Telephone: +61 2 8088 4222
Mobile: +61 424 235 159
Fax: +61 2 8088 4201
www.cmcrc.com

Capital Markets CRC Ltd - Confidential Communication
The information contained in this e-mail is confidential.  It is intended for the addressee only.  If you receive this e-mail by mistake please promptly inform us by reply e-mail and then delete the e-mail and destroy any printed copy. You must not disclose or use in any way the information in the e-mail. There is no warranty that this e-mail is error or virus free. It may be a private communication, and if so, does not represent the views of the CMCRC and its associates.  If it is a private communication, care should be taken in opening it to ensure that undue offence is not given.