[Lustre-discuss] Replace OST

Jon Tegner tegner at foi.se
Mon Mar 17 09:28:27 PDT 2014

Hi,

I'm new to lustre, so please excuse me for probably some stupid questions.

I have set up a small test system, consisting of

* 1 MGS/MDT
* 2 OSS/OSTs
* 6 clients on infiniband and one on gigabit.

I have verified the scaling effect (increased performance with two OSTs
compared to one). I further wanted to gain some experience when
components fail, and in a first test I wanted to replace one of my
OSS/OSTs. Did the following (trying to follow chapter 14.7 in the manual):

1. Unmounted the OST on one of my two OSS/OSTs (simulating a crash).

2. Deactivating this OST on the MGS/MDT.

3. Trying to remove the files located on this OST with the command:

lfs find --obd lustre-OST0002 -print0 /home |  tee /tmp/files_to_restore
| xargs -0 -n 1 unlink

The last command was issued from one of the clients, but it just hangs.

Are there something wrong with the way I'm trying to do this? Any help
would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

/jon