[Lustre-discuss] Replace OST

Dilger, Andreas andreas.dilger at intel.com
Thu Mar 20 19:52:06 PDT 2014

On 2014/03/20, 3:56 AM, "Jon Tegner" <tegner at foi.se> wrote:

>Thanks a lot!
>
>Much appreciated!
>
>I'm using 2.4.2 on CentOS-6.5. Indeed it seems related to the issue
>Andreas links to. I did some further tests, and it seems that if I run
>the "find" command (or something like "ls -R /lusterMountPoint") BEFORE
>I unmount the OST the "find" command works after the OST has been
>unmounted. Related to some kind of caching?
>
>Tried to use "getstripe" instead (thanks!), with the command:
>
>"lfs getstripe --ost lustre-OST0001 -v -r /home | grep home | xargs -n 1
>unlink"
>
>(where /home is my luster mount point).

The "grep" is probably not very useful.  You could just get rid of "-v"
since every line will have "home" in it...  Hmm, I'm wrong.  Seems that
it still prints the striping info even if "-q" is used.  Need to fix that,
or fix "lfs find" to work with missing OSTs.

>By then following the procedure as indicated in the manual (thanks for
>pointing me to the latest!) I managed to introduce the "new" (in my case
>"reformated") OST in the file system.
>
>At the moment I'm just testing, and the amount of data on the system is
>very small, and I have no clue whether the way I combine "getstripe"
>with "xargs" an "unlink" is an efficient way of doing it?

Seems OK.

>Another thing I didn't understand was that after "reformating" the OST,
>and mounting it, "df" indicated that the file system was growing. Before
>mounting the "failed" OST it seemed as if about half of the space was
>gone (reasonable, since I'm playing around with two OSTs). However,
>after a while it seemed as if the file system was automagically
>repopulated. But not with ALL of the files (when compared with my
>"backup").  But maybe this could be attributed to confusion on my part...

This is a bug in 2.4 and earlier.  If the reformatted OST is returned
to the same index without restoring the "/O/0/LAST_ID" file, it will
frantically try to create the missing objects (without any data, Lustre
does not yet have data redundancy).  That was fixed in 2.5 and later:
http://review.whamcloud.com/7443

Cheers, Andreas