[Lustre-discuss] Replacing faulty OSS/OST

Jon Tegner tegner at foi.se
Tue Oct 21 00:44:09 PDT 2014

Hi again,

We are running lustre 2.5.3 on a small system, consisting of one
combined MGS/MDT and four combined OSS/OSTs. One of the OSS/OSTs has
faulty hardware, and need to be replaced. The procedure I plan on using
is the following.

1. Deactivate the faulty OSS.
2. Make a file-level backup of it (not much data on it).
3. Temporarily deactivate it.

The manual seems clear on how to perform these steps, what I'm a bit
uncertain about is how I introduce the replacement machine (which will
be a complete new one). Are there certain steps I need to take into
account, e.g., can will it be possible to create the new OST file system
with the old ost_index?

4. Once the replacement is up, and its OST activated, the backup should
be restored. In the manual it is stated that e2label should be used to
set the file system label (based on the old ost_index in hex as I
understand it - a bit curious on this point, since I thought that would
be taken care of "automatically" (I have never done this when creating
OSTs before).

Thanks again!

Regards,

/jon