[lustre-discuss] New community release model and 2.5.3 (and 2.x.0) patch lists?

Scott Nolin scott.nolin at ssec.wisc.edu
Fri Apr 17 07:00:54 PDT 2015

On 4/16/2015 4:24 PM, Michael Kluge wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 15, 2015 at 11:44 AM, Scott Nolin <scott.nolin at ssec.wisc.edu>
> wrote:
>>
>> Since Intel will not be making community releases for 2.5.4 or 2.x.0
>> releases now, it seems the community will need to maintain some sort of
>> patch list against these releases.
>
> I don't think this is how I understood it a LUG. What took with me:
> Intel will make 2.x.0 releases every 6 month including fixes. New
> releases may or may have not new features. But there will be a regular
> release cycle.

That is how I understood it too, regular releases will now be all at .0
only, no such thing as a maintenance branch with point releases.

My sentence wasn't properly clear - intel won't be making any community
maintenance point type releases, just X.x.0.

So some people have been thinking a maintenance release will come out,
2.5.4 - it will not as I understand it. The intel presentation also
mentioned it's out for customers, so it's done but only for customers.

So, if you want to keep running 2.5 or any other branch, or want to test
something and see if it's stable, it makes sense to have patch lists.
And some kind of central resource for that as Colin Faber mentioned.

Scott