[lustre-discuss] Lustre on mac os 10.10 and windows 7

E.S. Rosenberg esr+lustre at mail.hebrew.edu
Sun Aug 16 09:46:44 PDT 2015

I am puzzled, why would you format an external harddisk as lustre? You
realize lustre is not really aimed at being a single disk filesystem?

Lustre is supposed to be spread over a set of disks (and servers) where you
have disks/servers specifically in charge of storing objects and
disks/servers in charge of maintaining the metadata which actually tells
you what those objects are...

Even if you would get fuse lustre support running you would be using it to
mount a filesystem being served by one or more remote hosts and not to
mount a single external disk, the fuse driver would be a client driver and
not the whole server package which is capable of understanding the disk
provided it has the metadata.

(Theoretically you should be able to mount the disk as ext4 or ZFS
depending on the backend filesystem you chose, but even then lacking the
metadata objects are just objects without descriptive names and may lack
parts that were striped to other disks afaik).

What is the goal you are trying to accomplish (beyond mounting your
external disk)?

Regards,
Eli