[Lustre-discuss] only root can read/write on new lustre filesystem (Lustre 2.6)

Jeff Johnson jeff.johnson at aeoncomputing.com
Wed Feb 4 17:33:55 PST 2015

Does your mds node have access to your non-privileged users/groups identity
data by way of methods like ldap or local files (/etc/passwd, /etc/group,
etc)?

Your clients and mds need to be on the same sheet of music.

--Jeff

On Wed, Feb 4, 2015 at 5:19 PM, No One <jc.listmail at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm sure I've overlooked something in the documentation, but for the life
> of me, I can't figure out what.
>
> I've setup a new cluster running 2.6 and everything seemed to go fine.
> I've got the filesystem mounted on a few clients and as long as I am root,
> I can read and write to it just fine.
>
> If I switch to another user, I get something like this:
>
> -bash-4.1$ ls -al
> ls: cannot access test: Permission denied
> total 8
> drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4096 Feb  5 00:58 .
> drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Feb  4 23:05 ..
> d????????? ? ?    ?       ?            ? test
>

> if I am root though, it looks fine:
>
> [cvt]# ls -al
> total 12
> drwxr-xr-x 4 root     root     4096 Feb  5 00:58 .
> drwxr-xr-x 3 root     root     4096 Feb  4 23:05 ..
> drwxr-xr-x 2 test test 4096 Feb  5 01:13 test
>

> No amount of chmod'ing or chown'ing has worked to resolve this.  I know
> I've seen this before and I feel like it was in the context of NFS, but I'm
> not finding it.
>
> I could use any help/advice to figure this out.
>
> Thanks!

Jeff Johnson
Co-Founder
Aeon Computing

jeff.johnson at aeoncomputing.com
www.aeoncomputing.com
t: 858-412-3810 x1001   f: 858-412-3845
m: 619-204-9061

4170 Morena Boulevard, Suite D - San Diego, CA 92117

High-Performance Computing / Lustre Filesystems / Scale-out Storage