[Lustre-discuss] how do I deactivate a very wonky OST

Thomas Roth t.roth at gsi.de
Thu Jan 22 11:28:04 PST 2015

Brian,

the command to deactivate we are using is
> lctl set_param osc.FS_Name-ID-osc*.active=0
as in lctl set_param osc.lustre-OST0122-osc*.active=0

(lctl --device has failed me a number of times, probably got the wrong device-number there.)

If your killer OST was once part of you Lustre, to "unregister" it for good would ask for extreme
measures (total shutdown, total writeconf everywhere, restart) - did you do that? If not, you should
be able to start all your servers, omitting the bad OST, the 'lctl set_param' it on the MDT and all
clients. Then Lustre should be usable, except for the file remnants of the objects on the missing OST.

At this point I'd run
> lfs find  --obd FS-Name-#{ost}_UUID /mountpoint
writing the output to some files, which are later used to delete/unlink all these remnants.

Cheers,
Thomas

On 01/15/2015 12:11 AM, Andrus, Brian Contractor wrote:
> Thanks Sean,
>
> Right now neither help me as I had to bring the entire system up from scratch and NOT mount the bad OST.
> So, now OST5 is not listed anywhere. The only knows it is missing.
> Doing 'lctl dl' only show the OSTs that have been brought up.
> If I try to bring it up, it registers, the MDS becomes aware, the OSS kernel panics and the MDS starts making everyone wait for it to come back.
>
> Part of 'lfs df':
> OST0005             : Resource temporarily unavailable
>
> Hassle is I cannot really do an 'lfs find' for the files on the bad OST because the OST is not registered... stuck in a loop here...
>
> If I could find a way to tag it as offline even though the MDS doesn't see it yet, that may help.
>

> Brian Andrus
> ITACS/Research Computing
> Naval Postgraduate School
> Monterey, California
> voice: 831-656-6238

Thomas Roth
Department: Informationstechnologie
Location: SB3 1.262
Phone: +49-6159-71 1453  Fax: +49-6159-71 2986

GSI Helmholtzzentrum für Schwerionenforschung GmbH
Planckstraße 1
64291 Darmstadt
www.gsi.de

Gesellschaft mit beschränkter Haftung
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Darmstadt
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Darmstadt, HRB 1528

Geschäftsführung: Professor Dr. Dr. h.c. Horst Stöcker,
Dr.-Ing. Jürgen Henschel

Vorsitzende des Aufsichtsrates: Dr. Beatrix Vierkorn-Rudolph
Stellvertreter: Ministerialdirigent Dr. Rolf Bernhardt