[lustre-discuss] interrupted tar archive of an mdt ldiskfs

Henwood, Richard richard.henwood at intel.com
Mon Jul 13 12:09:28 PDT 2015

On Mon, 2015-07-13 at 11:20 -0700, John White wrote:
> Yea, I’m benchmarking rsync right now, it doesn’t seem much faster than the initial tar was at all.
>
> Can you elaborate on the risk on 2.x systems?..

Backing up a 2.x MDT (or OST) is described in manual for:

 file level (MDT only supported since 2.3):
https://build.hpdd.intel.com/job/lustre-manual/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/lustre_manual.xhtml#dbdoclet.50438207_21638

 device level:
https://build.hpdd.intel.com/job/lustre-manual/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/lustre_manual.xhtml#dbdoclet.50438207_71633

I, personally, think it does an OK job of describing the limitations of
file and device backups - but there is always room for improvement:
https://wiki.hpdd.intel.com/display/PUB/Making+changes+to+the+Lustre+Manual

cheers,
Richard
Richard.Henwood at intel.com