[lustre-discuss] How Lustre stores hyperslabs and chunks of HDF5?

Dilger, Andreas andreas.dilger at intel.com
Tue Jul 21 16:53:09 PDT 2015

Currently there is no direct connection between Lustre layout and HDF5 file layout.  The only option is RAID-0 striping across OST objects with a fixed stripe size. If HDF5 is aware of this stripe size and can take advantage of it, that is great.

There is a project that has started to implement Progressive File Layout (PFL) that allows different extents of a file to have different stripe counts and stripe sizes, which could be leveraged by libraries like HDF5 in the future.

See http://cdn.opensfs.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Progressive-File-Layouts_Hammond.pdf and/or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rm6Nlmqdp0 for more details on PFL prototype development.

Cheers, Andreas