[Lustre-discuss] understanding max_rpc_in_flight

teng wang tzw0019 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 08:09:52 PDT 2015

Hi Andreas and Artem,

Thanks for your answer. If so, does the server have to reply to

every RPC request after the RDMA transfer for each RPC? Or only

reply once for transferring all 'max_rpc_in_flight' RPCs?

What's the benefit of keeping 'max_rpc_in_flight'? Given that each

RDMA handles only data transfer for 1 RPC each time,

even it allows 'max_rpc_in_flight', it still has to transfer the data for

'max_rpc_in_flight'  times instead of once for all. So it seems the

only benefit may come from the overlapping between transferring

RPC requests instead of transferring the data.

Is RPC transfer handled by the service threads, which also perform I/O?

Or the I/O functionality and RPC are handled by separate threads?

Thanks,

Teng