[lustre-discuss] zfs -- mds/mdt -- ssd model / type recommendation

Andrew Wagner andrew.wagner at ssec.wisc.edu
Mon May 4 19:20:41 PDT 2015

I can offer some guidance on our experiences with ZFS Lustre MDTs.
Patrick and Charlie are right - you will get less performance per $ out
of ZFS MDTs vs. LDISKFS MDTs. That said, our RAID10 with 4x Dell Mixed
Use Enterprise SSDs achieves similar performance to most of our LDISKFS
MDTs. Our MDS was a Dell server and we wanted complete support coverage.

One of the most important things for good performance with our ZFS MDS
was RAM. We doubled the amount of RAM in the system after experiencing
performance issues that were clearly memory pressure related. If you
expect to have tens of millions of files, I wouldn't run the MDS without
at least 128GB of RAM. I would be prepared to increase that number if
you run into RAM bottlenecks - we ended up going to 256GB in the end.

For a single OSS, you may not need 4x SSDs to deal with the load. We use
the 4 disk RAID10 setup with a 1PB filesystem and 1.8PB filesystem. Our
use case was more for archive purposes, so we wanted to go with a
complete ZFS solution.