[lustre-discuss] zfs -- mds/mdt -- ssd model / type recommendation

Rick Wagner rpwagner at sdsc.edu
Tue May 5 08:07:10 PDT 2015

On May 5, 2015, at 7:16 AM, Wolfgang Baudler <wbaudler at gb.nrao.edu> wrote:

>> The Livermore folks leading this effort can correct me if I misspeak, but
>> they (Specifically Brian Behlendorf) presented on this topic at the
>> Developers' Day at LUG 2015 (no video of the DD talks, sorry).
>>
>>> From his discussion, the issues have been identified, but the fixes are
>>> between six months and two years away, and may still not fully close the
>>> gap.  It'll be a bit yet.
>>
>> - Patrick
>
> So, these performance issues are specific to Lustre using ZFS or is it
> problems with ZFS on Linux in general?

It's Lustre on ZFS, especially for metadata operations that create, modify, or remove inodes. Native ZFS metadata operations are much faster than what Lustre on ZFS is currently providing. That said, we've gone with a ZFS-based patchless MDS, since read operations have always been more critical for us, and our performance is more than adequate.

--Rick