[lustre-discuss] zfs -- mds/mdt -- ssd model / type recommendation

Scott Nolin scott.nolin at ssec.wisc.edu
Wed May 6 12:13:09 PDT 2015

Regarding ZFS MDT backups -

Dealing with the metadata performance issues we performed many zfs mdt
backup/recoveries and used snapshots to test things. It did work, but
slow. It was *agonizing* to wait a day for each testing iteration.

So now in production we've just got a full and incrementals on top,
which helps with total time to snapshot. But I'd still rather run
frequent full snapshots too.

We use lustre for not just scratch, so backup of the mdt matters for us.
And really, if it wasn't hard to do, wouldn't you do it for scratch
filesystems too?

Of course critical stuff gets backed up in home or whatever is really
unique, but there's still plenty of data that will be painful if the
filesystem dies. This has been a bigger decision point for us than
performance for MDT backing filesystem choices. For our next 2 lustre
file systems we are leaning more towards ldiskfs on the MDT because of
it. It's going to be tough if we give up the other features because of
this, but it's important.

One interesting thing we tested with ZFS is using it to mirror MDT's
between 2 servers via infiniband SRP. Notes are here:
http://wiki.lustre.org/MDT_Mirroring_with_ZFS_and_SRP - This would give
you a true mirror of your data (separate servers, separate disks) at
what looked like little or no performance penalty from my testing. Not a
backup, but nice. We only were able to test it for 1 week, so could not
put it into production.

Scott