[lustre-discuss] Lustre doesn't use new OST

Mohr Jr, Richard Frank (Rick Mohr) rmohr at utk.edu
Wed Nov 11 11:15:07 PST 2015

> On Nov 10, 2015, at 6:52 AM, Massimo Sgaravatto <massimo.sgaravatto at pd.infn.it> wrote:
>
> Hello
>
> Let me resurrect this old thread concerning the problem of OST not used if there are deactivated OSTs (see below for details)
>
> I created a small testbed with a Lustre 2.5.3 server (MGS + MDT + OSS) and a Lustre 2.5.3 client.
> I reproduced the problem creating a Lustre filesystem with:
>
> - OST-0 OST-1 and OST-5 active
> - OST-2, OST-3, OST-4 deactived
>
> and I see that files are not written in OST-5.
>
> I then tried to update the Lustre server machine to Lustre v. 2.7.0 (while the client keeps running Lustre v. 2.5.3): the problem is still there.
>
> I then tried to also update the client to Lustre v. 2.7.0 and it looks like this fixes the problem.
>
> Is this expected ? I thought the problem was in the server side ...

If the problem was related to LU-5778, then I would expect it to be purely a server side issue.  So either I misread something in the bug report, or this is a different issue (although it is good to know that upgrading both the server and the client helped).

--
Rick Mohr
Senior HPC System Administrator