[lustre-discuss] Expanding a zfsonlinux OST pool

Faaland, Olaf P. faaland1 at llnl.gov
Mon Nov 23 13:35:11 PST 2015

Hello Bob,

We did something similar - our MDS's used zpools based on spinning disks in JBODs and we switched to SSDs without bringing the filesystem down, using ZFS to replicate data.  It worked great for us.

How are your pools organized (ie what does zpool status show)?  There might be options that are more or less risky, or take more or less time, depending on how zfs is using the disks.

Also, how often are disks failing and how long does a replacement take to resilver, with your current disks?

-Olaf