[lustre-discuss] dne2: lfs setdirstripe

Patrick Farrell paf at cray.com
Wed Sep 2 19:50:26 PDT 2015

Olaf,

I can explain the rationale for the restrictions, though I have not verified if the root only one applies to striped as well as remote directories.  (It's a simple test, though.  I'm just not where I can reach a test system.)

Note, to be clear: DNE 2 does not replace DNE 1.  Remote directories and striped directories are different things and can coexist.

For enable_remote_dir, it applies only to remote directories - not striped directories.

As for the rationale: If enabled, it complicates things notably from an administrative perspective...  If you have multiple MDT changes in a path, it makes it harder to know what is where, and can cause files on, for example, MDT2 or MDT0, to become unreachable if MDT1 is lost.  Also, if you think carefully, it doesn't really enable any use cases that can't be done otherwise - at least, none that we could find that seemed practical.

As far as the root only thing:
Imagine you are trying to split the load between your MDTs by assigning particular users to particular MDTs.  If your users can create their own remote directories, they can escape this restriction.  Also, you can open up permission by setting it to -1.

I learned this by a mix of reading design docs, experimenting, and being at least tangentially involved via the PAC.
I'd suggest design docs as a good place to look for more.

- Patrick Farrell