[lustre-discuss] BLK_DEF_MAX_SECTORS in newer kernels

E.S. Rosenberg esr+lustre at mail.hebrew.edu
Tue Sep 8 14:09:20 PDT 2015

Hi all,
I'm trying to build lustre 2.7 with kernel 4.1.6 from source, I applied the
patches that appear in:
lustre/kernel_patches/series/3.x-fc18.series

The following patch:
blkdev_tunables-3.7.patch

Seems to be adding the use of a define that left the kernel a while ago:
BLK_DEF_MAX_SECTORS
As far as I can tell it hasn't been in the kernel since 2.6.34 so I find it
quite strange that it's still used in patches meant for kernel >= 3.7

In an attempt to make the kernel build I have manually set it to 0, this
may be very wrong or may tell code that uses it that there is no max (I
haven't had time to look at code using it), either way, my question is
twofold:
1. Should this variable still be defined?
2. If yes what should it be set to?

Thanks,
Eli