[lustre-discuss] "Text file busy" error

E.S. Rosenberg esr+lustre at mail.hebrew.edu
Mon Apr 18 09:27:49 PDT 2016

Hi all,
Several of our users ran into the "Text file busy" error described in
LU-6232 (and possibly related to LU-4398 and LU-4429).

Has there been any progress on this issue?

I feel pretty dumb when I have to explain this issue to them and how to
work around it....

Thanks,
Eli

Background for those who don't like reading bug reports:
When creating a script if it gets run subsequently it becomes impossible to
edit said script after it's been run even though it is not actively running
anymore.

Workarounds I have seen so far:
- Use an editor that moves the current file to a backup like emacs
(bypasses the issue since you are in practice working on a different file)
- chmod -x the file before editing (reverts to being editable)
- run the file using sh /path/to/file instead of /path/to/file (then it
stays editable)