[lustre-discuss] llapi_file_open() messages to stderr

John Bauer bauerj at iodoctors.com
Sat Apr 30 11:44:37 PDT 2016

Dennis

Thanks for the response.  There are other reasons I want to suppress
these messages.

1) I am trying to minimize system calls.

2) It's kind of overkill for llapi_file_open() to print to stderr.  The
function already returns -1 with errno=EEXIST. Shouldn't it be up to the
caller to decide if a message should be printed.

3) There are other messages, different than the *stripe already set*,
that I also would like to suppress.  Most notably "*Invalid argument*".
I hate to think that I have to check validity of all the striping
arguments to prevent the messages to stderr.  I'll also point that even
*lfs setstripe* doesn't even go to the trouble to tell you which
argument is invalid.

     % lfs setstripe -c 486 -i 45 file.dat
     error on ioctl 0x4008669a for 'file.dat' (3): Invalid argument
     error: setstripe: create stripe file 'file.dat' failed
     %

John

On 4/30/2016 12:27 PM, Dennis Nelson wrote:
> Check for existing files before making the call?  And don't issue the
> call if the file exists.  You cannot change stripe attributes on an
> existing file.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Apr 30, 2016, at 11:51 AM, John Bauer <bauerj at iodoctors.com
> <mailto:bauerj at iodoctors.com>> wrote:
>
>> I am implementing the use of*llapi_file_open()* in my I/O library so
>> I can set the striping.  If the file already exists I get the
>> following message on stderr:
>>
>> *error on ioctl 0x4008669a for 'dd.dat' (4): stripe already set*
>>
>> Is there some way to suppress this message?  The end-uers of my
>> library will get these messages in stderr of their job and will
>> likely have no clue as to why.  My library detects the failed
>> llapi_file_open() and retrys with open64() and spits out its own
>> error message to the library's log.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> John
>> --