[lustre-discuss] poor performance on reading small files

Oucharek, Doug S doug.s.oucharek at intel.com
Wed Aug 3 11:42:55 PDT 2016

Also note: If you are using IB, these small reads will make use of RDMA.  LNet only uses rdma_writes (historical reasons for this) so the client has to use IB immediate messages to tell the server to write the 20kb file to the client.  The extra round-trip handshake involved with this will add latency to each file read.  That could be why writes, which don’t need this extra handshake, perform better than the reads.

The bigger the files (i.e. the more data moved per rdma_write) the less the additional overhead of the handshake will be noticed.

Doug