[lustre-discuss] ZFS not freeing disk space

Thomas Roth t.roth at gsi.de
Thu Aug 11 09:49:23 PDT 2016

Hi,

thanks for all the hints.

I can report that reactivating the OST does not have any impact, space is not freed, although some
orphaned objects were cleared.

In the meantime (OST deactivated on the MDS), the culprit had been found, a 7.5TB-file, which was then
removed by the users. Obviously it is still there.

To find out if Lustre lets you delete files at all, I then followed the workaround of Andreas in LU-4825,
 > oss# lctl set_param fail_loc=0x229 fail_val={ost_index}

With the OST active on the MDT, this indeed seems to prevent new file creation on this OST, althoug I
did not see any of the odd error messages predicted by Andreas.
However, migration of files off the OST now works.

Finally, I rebooted the OSS, but again without success, filling state is the same as before reboot.

The last time when this issue repaired itself, it was probably indeed after a reboot of the MDS. Out
of question of course in a production environment.

Cheers,
Thomas

Thomas Roth
Department: Informationstechnologie
Location: SB3 1.250
Phone: +49-6159-71 1453  Fax: +49-6159-71 2986

GSI Helmholtzzentrum für Schwerionenforschung GmbH
Planckstraße 1
64291 Darmstadt
www.gsi.de

Gesellschaft mit beschränkter Haftung
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Darmstadt
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Darmstadt, HRB 1528

Geschäftsführung: Ursula Weyrich
Professor Dr. Karlheinz Langanke
Jörg Blaurock

Vorsitzende des Aufsichtsrates: St Dr. Georg Schütte
Stellvertreter: Ministerialdirigent Dr. Rolf Bernhardt