[lustre-discuss] Filesystem hanging....

Phill Harvey-Smith p.harvey-smith at warwick.ac.uk
Sun Aug 14 10:13:02 PDT 2016

On 14/08/2016 03:09, Stephane Thiell wrote:
> Hi Phil,

Phill :)

> I understand that you’re running master on your clients (tag v2_8_56
> was created 4 days ago) and 2.1 on the servers? Running master in
> production is already a challenge. Also Lustre has never be good for
> cross-version compatibility. For example, it is possible to make 2.1
> servers work with 2.5 clients and 2.5 servers work with 2.7 clients,
> even though additional patches may be needed.

Right, I believe that the version of the client we where using before
the upgrade was certainly an older 2.x version, it might be worth seeing
if I can get that to compile on the current kernel.

Humm upgrading the server is going to be a major pain in the ass, it was
setup before I joined the department and is basically a Redhat kernel
running on an Ubuntu 10.04 base. Ideally I'd want to migrate the servers
(we have separate OSS and MDS) to a supported platform, even if it isn't
Ubuntu, it's just more sane :)

> I would say try to reduce the gap, upgrade your servers and/or try an
> official lustre release on your clients…

Is there a bare tarball** available of the official version's source? As
I'm working on Ubuntu, which is an un-supported platform IIRC, I'd have
to source compile.

**or a way to check it out of the git repository.

Cheers.

Phill.