[lustre-discuss] ​luster client mount issues

sohamm sohamm at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 10:51:23 PDT 2016

Hi All,
I was able to get the lustre client mounted successfully.

I was getting this error whenever i tried to mount client via tcp/o2ib
network.

[867363.885584] LustreError: 162-5: Missing mount data: check that
/sbin/mount.lustre isinstalled.
[867363.885637] LustreError: 13214:0:(obd_mount.c:1325:lustre_fill_super())
Unable to mount  (-22)
[867363.885659] LustreError: 13214:0:(obd_mount.c:1325:lustre_fill_super())
Skipped 1 previous similar message
[867364.107157] LustreError: 15c-8: MGC192.168.111.52 at tcp: The
configuration from log 'mylustre-client' failed (-2). This may be the
result of communication errors between this node and the MGS, a bad
configuration, or other errors. See the syslog for more information.
[867364.107209] LustreError: 13215:0:(llite_lib.c:1046:ll_fill_super())
Unable to process log: -2
[867364.107729] Lustre: Unmounted mylustre-client
MGC192.168.111.52 at tcp

but when checked on the mgs with cat /proc/fs/lustre/device, i could not
see any entry for MGC192.168.111.52 at tcp . Only MGC192.168.200.52 at o2ib was
present. Also some of the disks were missing. Which led me to look into my
disks health. To my surprise the iscsi disks in zpool were "Degraded". Not
sure what caused that. So i reconfigured the entire setup and was able to
mount the client via o2ib without any issues. Couple of other tweaks i did
this time is

1. Disabled the firewalld and ufw ( earlier i added an exception to allow
the iscsi disks )
2. used the following command to mount MGS and mdt ( both in single
command).
mkfs.lustre --fsname=lustre --mgs --mdt --backfstype=zfs mgs01/data --index
0

earlier i used below two commands
mkfs.lustre --mgs --backfstype=zfs mds1_1/mgs
mkfs.lustre --mdt --backfstype=zfs --fsname=mylustre --index=1
--mgsnode=192.168.200.52 at o2ib mds1_1/mdt1

3. modified lustre.conf to have the preferred network as first parameter.
Not sure if thats how its supposed to work.
options lnet networks=o2ib(ib0),tcp0(eth0) if i want to connect over o2ib
options lnet networks=tcp0(eth0),o2ib(ib0) if i want to connect over tcp

Thanks all for your help. Hopefully my learning's will help others.