[lustre-discuss] Mount lustre client with MDS/MGS backup

Mohr Jr, Richard Frank (Rick Mohr) rmohr at utk.edu
Wed Aug 31 06:32:29 PDT 2016

> On Aug 31, 2016, at 8:12 AM, Pardo Diaz, Alfonso <alfonso.pardo at ciemat.es> wrote:
>
> I mount my clients: mount -t lustre mds1 at o2ib:mds2 at o2ib:/fs /mnt/fs
>
> 1) When both MDS are OK I can mount without problems
> 2) If the MDS1 is down and my clients have lustre mounted, they use MDS2 without problems
> 3) If the MDS1 is down and I try to mount a new client, It can’t mount lustre with the next error:

<snip>
> arg[4] = 192.168.8.9 at o2ib:192.168.8.9 at o2ib:/fs

The client is resolving both hostnames (mds1 and mds2) to the same IP address.  I am guessing that this corresponds to mds1, so when it is down, there is no second host for the client to try.  Try specifying IP addresses instead of hostnames and see if that make a difference.

--
Rick Mohr
Senior HPC System Administrator