[lustre-discuss] Changelog record cleanup in /O/1/d*

Prescott,Craig P prescott at rc.ufl.edu
Tue Dec 6 08:11:07 PST 2016

Thanks, Cory.  We are still running 2.5.3.90, which doesn't have that fix.  That patch looks like it would solve our slow-to-mount MDT.  FWIW, I don't think we have many (any?) empty plain llogs, but the removal of the llog_process_or_fork() call in  llog_cat_init_and_process() looks like it addresses our issue - I see that in the stack of the osp-syn-* threads when the MDT is being read like crazy during mounts.

As a followup - is there any reason *not* to unmount the MDT, mount it as ldiskfs, and simply delete the plain llogs in our MDT's O/1/d* folders that contain only CHANGELOG_REC records?   Or even every file under the MDT's O/1/d* folders?  I'm a little unsure.  It seems that most of (if not all of) the files there now are just taking up space, and nothing else is going to remove them.

FWIW, our intent is to start using changelogs and robinhood again after we upgrade to a later version of Lustre than what we are currently running, at which time we'll just start over - register new changelog users and rescan the whole filesystem.  We won't care about any prior history.

Thanks again,

Craig