[lustre-discuss] LustreError on ZFS volumes

Crowe, Tom thcrowe at iu.edu
Mon Dec 12 13:28:59 PST 2016

Hi Jessie,

For clarification, it sounds like you are using hardware based RAID-6, and not ZFS raid? Is this correct? Or was the faulty card simply an HBA?

At the bottom of the ‘zpool status -v pool_name’ output, you may see paths and/or zfs object ID’s of the damaged/impacted files. This would be good to take note of.

Running a ‘zpool scrub’ is a good idea. If the zpool is protected with "ZFS raid", the scrub may be able to repair some of the damage. If the zpool is not protected with "ZFS raid", the scrub will identify any other errors, but likely NOT repair any of the damage.

If you have enough disk space on hardware that is behaving properly (and free space in the source zpool), you may want to replicate the VDEV’s (OST) that are reporting errors. Having a replicated VDEV can afford you the ability to examine the data without fear of further damage. You may also want to extract certain files from the replicated VDEV(s) which are producing IO errors on the source VDEV.

Something like this for replication should work:

zfs snap source_pool/source_ost at timestamp_label
zfs send -Rv source_pool/source_ost at timestamp_label | zfs receive destination_pool/source_oat_replicated

You will need to set zfs_send_corrupt_data to 1 in /sys/module/zfs/parameters or the ‘zfs send’ will error and fail when sending a VDEV with read and/or checksum errors.
Enabling zfs_send_corrupt_data allows the zfs send operation to complete. Any blocks that are damaged on the source side, will have “x2f5baddb10c” replaced in the bad blocks on the destination side. This can be helpful in troubleshooting if an entire file is corrupt, or parts of the file.

After the replication, you should set the replicated VDEV to read only with ‘zfs set readonly=on destination_pool/source_ost_replicated’

Hopefully others can chime in about the Lustre errors you have noted.

Thanks,
Tom