[lustre-discuss] How to configure OST and OSS on separate nodes

Patrick Farrell paf at cray.com
Thu Jan 28 18:45:26 PST 2016

One difference: I believe metadata performance is still notably lower with a ZFS based MDT.  I know the gap is closing with changes LLNL and Intel have made, but last I heard it was still significant.  Someone else may be able to give current numbers.

Of course, you can do an ldiskfs MDT and ZFS OSTs.  And since the MDT is much smaller than OSTs, one of the central advantages of ZFS - it allows use of an efficient software RAID, so you can use cheaper hardware options - is less relevant there.  (Because the disk hardware is a smaller % of the cost of a good MDS/MDT.)

- Patrick