[lustre-discuss] Large directory Feature in lustre 2.5.3

Chris Hunter chuntera at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 21:14:00 PST 2016

Hi Kurt, this seems to be your month for lustre adventures :/

Best I can tell this message means you have a directory with ~16M
entries. That is a hard limit in older versions of ext3-based lustre
(http://ext2.sourceforge.net/2005-ols/paper-html/node3.html)

According to LU-1365 (https://jira.hpdd.intel.com/browse/LU-1365). If
you have a MDT formatted under an older version of lustre (specifically
used old version mkfs.lustre) you get this message because at the time
of the LU ticket, the e2fs userspace tools (ie. fsck) could not handle
LARGEDIR feature.

I think you can ignore this warning if you are willing to live with the
directory 16M entry limit. I would _guess_ this is fixed in newer
version of e2fsprogs. However there may not be a way to add LARGEDIR
feature without re-formatting the MDT volume.

regards,
chris hunter