[lustre-discuss] Lustre OSS and clients on same physical server

Cory Spitz spitzcor at cray.com
Fri Jul 15 12:11:58 PDT 2016

Chris,

On 7/13/16, 2:00 PM, "lustre-discuss on behalf of Christopher J. Morrone" <lustre-discuss-bounces at lists.lustre.org on behalf of morrone2 at llnl.gov> wrote:

> If you put both the client and server code on the same node and do any
> serious amount of IO, it has been pretty easy in the past to get that
> node to go completely out to lunch thrashing on memory issues

Chris, you wrote “in the past.”  How current is your experience?  I’m sure it is still a good word of caution, but I’d venture that modern Lustre (on a modern kernel) might fare a tad bit better.  Does anyone have experience on current releases?

I understand that it isn’t a design goal for us, but perhaps we should pay some attention to this possibility?  Perhaps we’ll have interest in co-locating clients on servers in the near future as part of a replication, network striping, or archiving capability?

-Cory