[lustre-discuss] poor performance on reading small files

Oliver Mangold Oliver.Mangold at EMEA.NEC.COM
Fri Jul 29 02:33:36 PDT 2016

On 29.07.2016 04:19, Riccardo Veraldi wrote:

> I am using lustre on ZFS.
>
> While write performances are excellent also on smaller files, I find
> there is a drop down in performance
> on reading 20KB files. Performance can go as low as 200MB/sec or even
> less.
Getting 200 MB/s with 20kB files means you have to do 10000 metadata
ops/s. Don't want to say it is impossible to get more than that, but at
least with MDT on ZFS this doesn't sound bad either. Did you run an
mdtest on your system? Maybe some serious tuning of MD performance is in
order.