[lustre-discuss] rpmbuild error with lustre-2.8.0-3.10.0_327.3.1.el7_lustre.x86_64.x86_64.src.rpm

Martin Hecht hecht at hlrs.de
Wed Jun 29 10:36:19 PDT 2016

Hello,

I have just seen that you managed to mount with a different kernel, but
let me come back to this error when building your own rpms for a
specific kernel.

Independent if you use it or not, I believe on lustre servers you need
to have heartbeat installed nowadays. This is not installed by default
on a standard centos server, and it's a new requirement to build the
rpms since some 2.x release (it was optional before, and actually using
it is still optional). This requirement for building and installing the
server rpms is not mentioned in all tutorials and unfortunately the
absence of heartbeat is not properly detected by the configure system.
It would be better to fail earlier, during configure, with a clear error
message, rather than the error during make which you have seen here (has
anybody filed a lustre bug about this yet?)

If you  aim to build lustre client rpms only, you can use the rpmbuild
option --without servers to work around this problem, but If I didn't
miss anything in the discussion before you are trying to build the
server rpms with zfs, so --without servers is not suitable for you, but
mentioning it here might be helpful for others who run into the same
trouble.

Martin