[lustre-discuss] Can logical volumes used as OST?

Mohr Jr, Richard Frank (Rick Mohr) rmohr at utk.edu
Tue Mar 15 15:36:25 PDT 2016

> On Mar 15, 2016, at 4:18 AM, jeevan.patnaik at wipro.com wrote:
>

> “You should create an OST that uses the raw block device and does not use partitioning”
>
> Can we use Logical Volume as OST?
>
> And I also wonder why no partitioned device.

As you mentioned, LVM will work with Lustre.  I believe this recommendation was originally intended for performance reasons.  (i.e. - If the underlying storage was using RAID, then creating partitions might cause data not to align well with the RAID stripes.)  But I could be wrong about that.

--
Rick Mohr
Senior HPC System Administrator