[lustre-discuss] Real cases where setstripe is useful

Dilger, Andreas andreas.dilger at intel.com
Tue Mar 15 15:41:41 PDT 2016

From: Jeevan Behara Patnaik (GIS)
Sent: 15 March 2016 12:49
To: lustre-discuss at lists.lustre.org<mailto:lustre-discuss at lists.lustre.org>
Subject: Real cases where setstripe is useful

Hi,

I have been reading about using setstripe exclusively for files or directories. I would like to know if it is helpful for a grid jobs.

We are going to use lustre in grid environment in place of NFS. So, at what stage, can I exactly use setstripe?

These jobs would generate files and the creation of those files are not in our control and the size to my knowledge, may not be determined in prior.

So, does it mean that in grid, we could only use the default stripe for all files and directories?

The best way to handle this is to set a default layout on the filesystem root that suits most applications, and then set a striping on the output directories for applications that have different file IO requirements.

Lustre Principal Architect
Intel High Performance Data Division