[lustre-discuss] Lustre 2.8.0 released

Patrick Farrell paf at cray.com
Fri Mar 18 08:34:13 PDT 2016

Lustre servers should, generally, be kept on exactly the supported
kernel as they patch the kernel and it's dicey whether or not those
patches will work on a newer kernel.  You're welcome to try it, of course.

Lustre clients are not intended to have kernel version dependencies and
in general can be built for any kernel version you'd like. Because some
interfaces are changed from time to time, this compatibility isn't
absolute.  But Lustre 2.8.0 should be buildable for essentially any
kernel in the last few years, unless something has changed from recent
history.  (There is also no need to build your own kernel in that case.
Just get the kernel-devel package for your kernel and build the Lustre
client against that.)

- Patrick