[lustre-discuss] Delaying Lustre striping until first extent

John Bauer bauerj at iodoctors.com
Tue May 3 05:23:17 PDT 2016

Has any there been any discussion as to allowing a user to modify the
striping of a file until the first extent is made?  There are a lot of
opens that can not be easily replaced with *llapi_file_open*(), such as
*openat*() family, *mkstemp*() family, and *fopen*() family.

It seems that it should be feasible to change the file's striping even
after the file is created but not written to.

It would be really handy to have a function *llapi_fd_set_stripe*( int
fd, ... ) to set the striping for a file that has been opened but not
written to.  I have gotten past my immediate need for setting the
striping of a file opened with *fopen64*() by doing the
*llapi_file_open*() and then using the resulting fd in *fdopen*().  But
this approach is not applicable to all listed above.

Thanks, John

--
I/O Doctors, LLC
507-766-0378