[lustre-discuss] Configuring Luster failover on NON shared targets/disks

sohamm sohamm at gmail.com
Sat May 21 00:04:39 PDT 2016

Hi Andreas

I did take some time, to get back to this. I started to try out this
configuration on bunch of VM's with the powerful underlying HW.

*Configuration:*
1 Physical machine hosts 2 VM ( Vm1 and Vm2 ) . Both of them have
kernel 3.10.0-327.13.1.el7_lustre.x86_64 , Zfs , Iscsi
Vm1 - disk 1 , disk 2
Vm2 - disk 3,  disk 4

After Iscsi setup
Vm1 - disk1 , disk 3
Vm2 - disk 4, disk 2

After zpool
Vm1 - disk1 || disk 3 ( zpool mirror )- for mgs
Vm2-  disk4 || disk 2 ( zpool mirror ) - for mdt

[root at lustre_mgs01_vm03 ~]# zpool status
  pool: mds1_2
  state: ONLINE
  scan: none requested
config:

        NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        mds1_2      ONLINE       0     0     0
          mirror-0  ONLINE       0     0     0
            sdb     ONLINE       0     0     0
            vdb2    ONLINE       0     0     0

when setting up mgs/mdt i get the following error

[root at lustre_mgs01_vm03 /]# mkfs.lustre --mgs --backfstype=zfs mds1_2/mgs
mkfs.lustre FATAL: unhandled/unloaded fs type 5 'zfs'
mkfs.lustre FATAL: unable to prepare backend (22)
mkfs.lustre: exiting with 22 (Invalid argument)

when i searched for the specific error i ran into this Jira..
https://jira.hpdd.intel.com/browse/LU-7601
i have lustre version
[root at lustre_mgs01_vm03 /]# cat /proc/fs/lustre/version
lustre: 2.8.53_11_gfd4ab6e
kernel: patchless_client
build:  2.8.53_11_gfd4ab6e

I found an earlier discussion on similar topic. I plan to setup something
similar but with Iscsi instead of common storage boxes. I dont see the
output similar to this thread for mkfs.lustre command.
https://lists.01.org/pipermail/hpdd-discuss/2013-December/000662.html

I understand that this might not be a regular setup, but i would like to
set it up and see the performance if possible.
Please let me if i am missing something.

Thanks
Divakar