[lustre-discuss] Trying to compile lustre 2.8 against kernel 4.5

Drokin, Oleg oleg.drokin at intel.com
Sun May 22 19:41:35 PDT 2016

Hello!

On May 22, 2016, at 2:38 PM, E.S. Rosenberg wrote:

> Internal functions have changed and as a result it is currently not compiling, what is the accepted style for fixing these things?
>
> Right now I am looking at this error:
> lustre-release/lustre/fid/lproc_fid.c: In function ‘lprocfs_client_fid_space_seq_show’:
> lustre-release/lustre/fid/lproc_fid.c:542:5: error: void value not ignored as it ought to be
>   rc = seq_printf(m, "["LPX64" - "LPX64"]:%x:%s\n",
>
> which may be straight forward to fix or may not be depending on how lprocfs_client_fid_space_seq_show is used.
>
> seq_printf used to return 0 or -1 which would in turn be returned by this function, now seq_printf does not return anything anymore.

Just open a ticket in jira.hpdd.intel.com describing the problem either especifically for every problem, or in general like "support for Linux kernel 4.5"
Then submit patch to review.hpdd.intel.com with the fix, reference the ticket.
Don't forget to add necessary compat logic to configure and elsewhere when needed (though I guess we can just irnore return value from
seq_printf everywhere with no ill effects?

See https://wiki.hpdd.intel.com/display/PUB/Submitting+Changes and https://wiki.hpdd.intel.com/display/PUB/Patch+Landing+Process+Summary

Bye,
    Oleg