[lustre-discuss] GID only mapping in 2.8.60?

Stephane Thiell sthiell at stanford.edu
Fri Nov 4 15:53:42 PDT 2016

Hi all,

I am currently evaluating Lustre 2.8.60 with UID/GID mapping for a Lustre storage system that will be connected to multiple clusters. These clusters have matching UIDs but same groups have different GIDs. Actually GID mapping is working fine but I can’t find an easy way to avoid explicit UID mapping (all undefined UIDs are squashed). I just want GID mapping so I am looking for a way to bypass UID mapping, a bit like the ‘trusted’ idmap attribute in order to use canonical UIDs but still map GIDs according to gid idmaps.

Also as UID ranges are not supported, I created a bunch of single UID idmaps with identity mapping (uid:uid) for all our reserved UID ranges at Stanford but those are very large (999 to 999999) and I am limited by nodemap_add_idmap rate (~170 idmap / sec, so it takes about 1h40).

Any ideas?

Best,

Stephane